Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ski Pass

I learned something new today; you need to have a ski pass in order to cross country ski in Minnesota parks. I guess I just never thought about it. When I skied in the past it was at an apple orchard or parks up North. I probably bought a day pass or something.

Anyway, Julie and I made plans to ski today so I needed to purchase a ski pass. Passes can be obtained in a variety of ways, by phone, internet (imagine that) mail (which everyone should use more often) or at a local
Electronic Licensing System:

Get your daily, one-season and three-season ski passes using Minnesota's new electronic licensing system. There are 1750 locations around the state where you can use ELS. For a list of these, go to the ELS page or call the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 1-888-646-6367 (TTY: 651-296-5484 or 1-800-657-3929).
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has all the information you need, you can also check out local trail conditions and upcoming events. There are some candle lit events that look like a lot of fun and I hope to be able to do one of those this winter.

I went to my local ELS, at the Holiday Station in Maplewood to purchase my pass, it was quick and easy. Only $15 for the year (July 01, 2008 through June 30, 2009).

After purchasing my ski pass I headed to Julie's house, she was ready and waiting by the time I got there so all I had to do was put my gear into her car and we were off! Julie has done quite a bit of cross country skiing around the cities so she was in charge of finding the place.

We went out to Vadnais Heights, County Road F and Sucker Lake road or something, we parked the car and got on the trail right there. It was a nice wooded area. We followed the trail for about a mile and a half and then Julie had the idea of going off trail. OK by me, you lead. Julie headed up a deer trail that followed around the lake, it was fairly wide and not really a problem.

After a short time she decided we should take a break. After a short respite we decided to continue following the deer trail, this time I was in the lead. Of course now that I'm in the lead the trail kept getting more narrow as we went and at one point we hit a down hill and I was not sure whether I would be able to keep myself from falling into the lake. We finally hit a dead end, or at least I decided I was not going to chance it any longer, I had already skied over logs, around trees and skirted the lake. Let me stop right here and say this was my first time out skiing in over 20 years, what the hell I was doing off trail is beyond me. Leave it up to Julie to talk me into this kind of adventure. We turned around and headed back to the main trail.

I have to say, I really liked this adventure, I think cross country skiing and I will get along just fine. I do however believe I need some lessons as I'm sure there is a more efficient way of using my energy. I need to learn the proper way of doing this type of skiing. It sure was fun being out in the woods, listening to the birds and seeing the winter wonderland. I can't wait for the next adventure!

No comments: