Monday, February 2, 2009

Lesbian Paradise

THEY called it a lesbian paradise, the pioneering women who made their way to St. Augustine, Fla., in the 1970s to live together in cottages on the beach. Finding one another in the fever of the gay rights and women’s liberation movements, they built a matriarchal community, where no men were allowed.

Lesbian Separatists, women or maybe I should say womyn who choose to live in a separate lesbian world. It was the summer of 1988 the first time I heard of lesbian separatists; I was at a womyn's music festival in Michigan. I learned so much that week, what an eye opener. I believe they still have the festival every summer and I recommend it to anyone who has not experienced it. There's nothing like an entire week of naked womyn, music, food, fun and laughter.

There are about 100 below-the-radar lesbian communities in North America, known as womyn's lands. I don't think, no I know I couldn't live that lifestyle. Being separated from the rest of the world is just not my thing. Now as a retirement place it does not sound bad, a plot of land in the woods, I could handle that. It seems these types of places are not surviving though so I don't think it will an option when I can finally retire.

No comments: