Sunday, February 8, 2009

Iron

As a non-meat eater, I need to be careful to make sure that I get enough iron in my diet. Even when I was a meat eater I would sometimes be low on iron so it's something I need keep an eye on.

Many people believe spinach is a good source of iron and it is but it needs to be cooked first. Vegetables such as spinach are non-heme sources and need vitamin C for absorption. Spinach contains oxalic acid (oxalate). Oxalic acid binds with iron, inhibiting absorption.
1 cup cooked spinach = 3.5 mg iron
1 cup raw spinach = 1 mg iron

Iron absorption enhancers:
meat, fish poultry, oranges, orange juice, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit, and other vitamin C rich fruits, tomato and tomato juice, broccoli, brussel sprouts, green and red peppers and believe it or not white wine.

Recommended iron intake for men and post-menopausal women is 8 mg, pre-menopausal women is 18 mg.

No comments: