Thursday, March 5, 2009

Election

I threw my hat into the election ring again. I'm running for Maintenance Craft Trustee, it's the officer's position that I currently hold with my union. Not sure I'm going to win this time but I didn't think I was going to win the last time either. I have more experience and education than either of the two guys running against me but for most people it's a personality contest and not about who is best qualified to do the job. My main reason for running is not so much about the position as it is about who will be in office in the next two years. We have some major changes coming down the pipe and I want people in office who have contractual knowledge, not a bunch of guys from the "good ol' boys" club.

Most of the officer positions went uncontested but the ones that were are important positions. President of the local, Maintenance Craft Director and my position Maintenance Craft Trustee. Of the people running against the incumbents, not one of them has the qualifications to do the job. They each have some union experience but they are all known for their sweetheart deals with management. I know this because I've discovered and put an end to a number of their deals and it's pissed off a lot of people. I've always held the belief that if you start making "deals" with management then they have you, your credibility as a representative is shot. My platform has always been and always will be Contractual Compliance, as long as you are consistent in your application you earn the respect of the people you represent and management.

We have a lot of changes in our future, downsizing, new equipment, moving to the new building, contracting out our work, etc. this will affect everyone. This election is one of the most important ones that we've ever had, the people in office the next couple years will be the ones to see us through these changes. I can only hope the members vote for the people with the knowledge, skills and abilities to get the job done and lead us into the future. Our jobs are at stake, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This could be some serious trouble for the Maintenance craft and the Local union as a whole if the "good ol boys" get into office. The ballots were mailed yesterday and will be counted March 21st, I guess we'll know then.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Good luck!