Sunday, January 24, 2010

Womens 5 and Under

I spent the weekend in Grand Rapids Minnesota curling in the Women's 5 and Under bonspiel. We headed up Friday afternoon, checked into the Timberlake Lodge, grabbed a bite to eat then went to the club for our 7 pm draw. After registering for the event we found out that because there were only 5 teams playing that the bonspiel would be a scored event. Meaning that instead of deciding the winners by games won, each game will be scored and the team with the highest score would win. It seemed kinda odd to me but with 5 teams I guess it was the easiest way.

Although my team did not win many games we threw good rocks which for me is the most important. We lost our Friday game and had a bye right away Saturday morning! YAY we don't have to get up early. Our first game on Saturday was at 11:30 giving us time to try our hand at doubles curling. Lisa and I played against Michelle and Mary. After two ends Mary wanted to quit and Lisa was cold so Michelle and I practiced until about 11:15 then prepared for our game.

We lost our 11:30 game, we played a good game but just couldn't get the win. Because of the scoring it was almost more important to win each end than to get a lot of points. Michelle was not happy with her game and asked me to skip the rest of the weekend. Lunch was next on the agenda, soup and sandwiches.

Our next game was against the other St. Paul team; Amy, Loafy, Mary Jane and Amanda! WooHoo we finally won a game and were able to get a bunch of points on the board. Our last game was at a little after 6, we again threw good rocks but were not able to win. This game also allowed us to get some points on the board.

It was after 8 pm by the time we were done curling; talk about being tired! Whew! Everyone sat down for dinner and awards. The Anderson team was once again the winners of the 1st event! YAY for St. Paul bringing home the trophy again. Some how my team was able to pull off a 3rd event win. I'm not sure which one of us was more surprised.

I had a really fun weekend and I'm looking forward to heading back to Grand Rapids in March for the Women's Gopher State 'spiel. The Itasca Curling club was fantastic! They had the cleanest ice I've ever curled on.

This was my last year for the 5 and Under so I guess I'm no longer a "novice" player. My next goal is to find a team to grow with and become more competitive. I can't believe I just said that, I'm not competitive by nature but I really want to play in more events and do some traveling.

No comments: