Friday, November 14, 2008

Write a Check, Pay it Off Later

I've receive this type of mailing on a weekly basis and usually just toss them into my recycle pile. I don't bitch about it as it is revenue for the PO, we call it our bread 'n butter mail. It's really where the PO makes money. Anyway, as I was saying I receive them on a weekly basis but don't pay much attention. Today however the "Write a check now. Pay it off later" caught my attention. This is what has gotten our country into the bind it is in. The idea that I can get anything I want right now and worry about paying for it some other time. 

The mailing I received was from a credit card company I have an account with. It gives you the option of choosing how you want to postpone your payments. Use check numbers 6703 and 6704 to get a low promotional 0.99% fixed annual percentage rate (APR) until your 05/2009 statement opening date. Or use check 6705 and 6706 to get a low promotional 6.99% fixed APR until the balance is paid off!

It goes on to give you all the blah, blah, blah about what happens if you do not pay it off in time. This is where they really get you and if people do not read the fine print they will find themselves in some deep doodoo. One of the things that really stuck out for me was that if you don't charge at least $1500 on card within the next 24 billing cycles they may terminate your promotional APR and you are then stuck paying a higher APR. 

They make is sound so easy, just choose your option, write a check and off you go! For me this mailing will end up in the fire recycle bin. I have two paper recycle bins one goes out to the curb and the other bin I use to start fires. Anything that has account information goes to the fire bin. I guess for me this mailing serves two purposes, it helps secure my job and it helps to warm my house. 

Read the fine print, if something seems too good to be true it probably is, if it's that easy there's a catch to it. I was brought up to want what you have, work hard for what you need and if you want something work even harder and save for it. There is no greater sense of accomplishment or respect for something than when you work hard for it. 


No comments: