Monday, November 17, 2008

Sexuality 101

OMG I may have opened Pandora's box! This is crazy. The conversations about sexuality have not ended, and after the last hour I believe it will be the topic of conversation for a while longer. OK, so the other day I receive an email from a friend asking about "pansexual" had I ever heard of it? Nope, never have. So this leads me straight to google, Lord knows I google everything. I have read a lot about this word and I'm still not sure about the definition. Here are a couple:
Pansexual:
The term pansexual generally is used for a person who does not classify their sexuality with a person's sex, but their gender. They believe there is a set difference between sex and gender - gender being the socially constructed condition of being male or female, and sex being the biological condition of male or female. HUH?

People who are pansexual may be attracted to various different forms of romance, and may be aroused by various different acts of sex on a carnal level. Some suggest that pansexuality is more accurately described by its adepts: human- or person- oriented. Despite a person who is pansexual's fluid sexuality, some may have a preference. A person who is pansexual may be attracted to all genders and sexes, but have a preference, (for example) for pre-operative transsexual people, other people who are pansexuals, masculine lesbians, intersexed people, etc. 

This definition is much more to the point: Opposite of asexual, asexual means you are not sexually attracted to anyone, whereas pansexual means you are sexually attracted to everyone. 

This search has lead me to so many other sexual orientations that I am truly overwhelmed. Who would have known? I've always thought I was pretty well versed in the sexuality subject but today is a day of eye opening experiences.  My new favorite site is the Urban dictionary, love it! Nearly all of the following definitions have come from the Urban dictionary so once you get on it you can just go from there. 

Here is a short list of sexual identifications I found, have fun! 
Intersexual, Paraphilias, montisexual, nitrosexual, metrosexual, ubersexual, logosexual, pomosexual, omnisexual, retrosexual, and trisexual. There are hundreds of ways a person could identify themselves. I'm going with pomosexual, I think I like that best. 

Oh there was one other thing I needed to look up...I'll have to do it later

No comments: