Sunday, May 11, 2008

Cochineal

I was listening to an infommercial this morning on the radio and they were trying to sell me Ruby Reds suppliments. If you call their special 1-800 number today only; you will receive 3 bottles for the special price of $19.95 each and if you act now you will also receive the Personal Turbo Mixer free and as an added bonus Tony O'Donnell's smoothie recipes. All you have to do is sign up for the Super Saver Autoship program!

Being the type of person that I am I googled "Ruby Reds." I located the New Vitality site and checked it out. I have to say I was disapointed to learn that anyone can receive "todays" special, here I thought because I was listening to the radio at the unGodly hour of 0400 I would get the Super Secret Radio Special (SSRS). I guess the SSRS is the added bonus of Tony O'Donnell's smoothie recipes. http://www.newvitality.com/shop/ruby-reds.aspx

This google search lead to some interesting information, though; and not necessarily about the Ruby Reds product but about a "natural" product used in food coloring: Cochineal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal


Basically it's a bug extract, natural yes, but do we really want to ingest it? I'll have to think about that. I say check the ingredients, what are we really eating and drinking??? or maybe we don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss, right?


As for the Ruby Reds suppliment; the verdict is still out. They don't use Cochineal in their Ruby Reds suppliment but I don't feel so special anymore...

No comments: