Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Quick Cherry Dessert

Now that the weather is getting cooler I can start turning the oven on and that means baking season it upon us!!! Apple pies, pumpkin pies, cookies, breads, yummy and I wonder why I get fat in the winter? 

I made banana bread a couple weeks ago and it turned out OK, I'm not a big fan of banana bread but I had a bunch of bananas that were getting a wee bit too ripe and I needed to do something with them so banana bread it was. After I finished I realized I should have made a banana upside down cake, now that's delicious! Maybe next time. 

Tonight's baking adventure was Quick Cherry Dessert another favorite of mine and simple to make. I'm doing a little experiment because I only have whole wheat flour and the recipe calls for white flour, I'm sure it will taste fine but I have a feeling it's going to look a lot different. It's in the oven now and should be done in about 20 minutes so we'll find out then. In any case I've decided to share my recipe, I have no idea where I got this from but it is quick and easy and tastes wonderful, feel free to give it a try and if you need me to I can come over and taste test it for you ;)

Quick Cherry Dessert         (preheat oven to 350 degrees)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine - I only use butter 
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
powdered sugar

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Add the almond extract, stir in the flour and baking powder and mix until smooth.

Butter a 9 X 13 inch cake pan (I have used a smaller pan and it worked fine), turn the mixture into the pan. Spoon the pie filling onto the cake, in 16 spots, spacing 4 spoonfuls evenly in each direction. If you can actually do this you are better than me, I just space the spoonfuls around the pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden and cake tests done. Filling will sink into the cake while baking. 

To serve cut into pieces, place bottom side up on serving plate and dust with powdered sugar. It is also super good with whipped cream and/or ice cream. Everything is good with ice cream. It's great served warm.

I have no idea how many calories, fats, sugars, whatever is in this recipe, it's dessert you know it's not on your diet but eat it anyway and spend an extra 10 minutes at the gym. 

No comments: