Wednesday, October 1, 2008

700 BILLION DOLLAR BAILOUT

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of it's releases.
A billion seconds ago it was 1959.
A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.
A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes at the rate our government is spending it.

Would we be walking with the dinosaurs 700 billion seconds ago? Hell I don't know, my calculator does not hold that many zeros. I was so happy when the first bailout failed but now I've been checking out the second bailout and it looks even worse. We all know the only way to sell something to the Republicans is to add more tax breaks! And to sell it to he Democrats you have to add more special interest money. Here are a few highlights that I was able to gather.

Health plans for large companies - add mental health parity measures = increase in health insurance premiums

Obscure tax breaks such as wooden arrows used by children and money for litigents in the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill, what the hell?

Raising federal deposit insurance limit to ease accounting rules on valuing assets, now add to this "ease rules that force companies to devalue assets on their balance sheets to reflect the price they can get on the market."

Extend the deductibility of State and Local taxes for people in states without income taxes, HUH? it helps Florida and Texas.

Help for rural schools, disaster aid, some more tax cuts for the wealthy.

FDIC allowed to borrow unlimited money from the Treasury Department.

This is the best part: SPEND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO BUY BAD MORTGAGE RELATED SECURITIES AND OTHER DEVALUED ASSETS HELD BY FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.  

Who in their right God damn mind would buy bad mortgage securities and devalued assets??? Where is this money coming from? Us the tax payers? Can I get some of this bad investment money? Hey Mister President, dude over here owes me a hundred bucks, I lent it to him and now he doesn't want to pay it back. Will you give me a hundred dollars and like if dude ever pays me back I'll get it back to you???

I have to be missing something in this bailout scheme. 

No comments: