Sunday, April 26, 2009

Church vs Church

An article in Time caught my attention this morning as nearly every article about Gay marriage does these days. I have never been a huge advocate of the institution of marriage but this issue for me is not about "marriage" it's about equality, equal rights under the law. "Freedom and Liberty for all."

They're discussing whether "Gay Marriage" will pit churches against each other or not. This is something I just don't understand. I fully believe a church has the right to discriminate against those who do not share their beliefs. If the church does not want to perform marriages between two men or two women then they don't have to do it.

This is what I don't understand about these churches they make it out as though by giving equal rights to Gay people they will then have to perform Gay marriages. As far as I'm concerned they can keep on preaching their ideas and beliefs, I don't agree with them but they have a right to believe whatever they want.

I do understand their concern that if Gay people are allowed equal rights then Lord forbid we might have to start thinking their "chosen lifestyle" is OK. We can't have that! I mean really how can the church continue to dictate how we live our lives if we were to start thinking maybe what they are teaching is BS?

I wonder what would happen if people actually picked up a copy of the bible and started to read it! We could have a revolution on our hands. Can you imagine a group of Catholics actually reading the bible for themselves and not having a Pope tell them what is in it?!? Imagine if a person was to read more than one bible, something other than King James version. That always gets me "King James" version that should tell people right away that this is someone elses interpretation of the original. And who wrote the original, a group of men attempting to control the masses? The bible should come with disclaimers on it like any book of fiction, "this is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously."

I don't know I guess if the biggest issue facing our country is whether or not Gay people should be able to marry and be treated equally under the law then our country is not that bad off. Here I thought we were in an economic crisis, we have terrorists hovering over us ready to attack, global warming, people dying of diseases, living in the streets, a war against drugs, a war in several countries...

I'm happy to know our biggest worry is those damn Gay people wanting equal rights.

No comments: