Monday, October 1, 2007

Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival

What a fantastic ride! This is the first time I have done this race and I hope to do it again. Tara, Trisha and I drove to Cable WI on Friday, September 14, 2007. When we arrived we checked into the hotel, dropped our things at the room then headed to Telemark Resort to register for the race. After registration we did some looking around then went out for a ride to check out the course. We rode about 7 miles into the course then headed back to the car before it could get dark on us. We then did some quick shopping for some gloves as Trisha and I were freezing our assets off. We had dinner at a Saloon in Seeley, good food.

Saturday we were up early and off to the race. Tara made sure we had our bikes in the line-up then off to breakfast. After eating we milled around with the rest of the people getting nervous about the race. The gun went off at 10 AM and we were off. At first I got caught up with the excitment then had to remind myself that I could not keep up that pace and hope to finish the race. I calmed myself and set my own pace. Mile after mile people were passing me and I did not seem to be passing anyone else. I thought for sure I must be at the end of the pack. As I continued to ride random thoughts would enter my mind, I had to continue to check my heart rate as there were times I felt as though I would never catch my breath. My goal was to stay on my bike and not have to walk any hills, this plan was working until I met up with "Big Bertha;" I had to get off about 2/3 of the way up the hill, I just could not make it any further, I was not alone. I ran the final 1/3 of the hill and hopped back onto my bike. After Big Bertha there were numerous rolling hills. My stomach was upset and I thought I would puke through the first half of the ride after about 8 miles into it my stomach settled down. As I approached the finish line I was so happy, my body was telling me it was done, my legs were getting so tired I had to keep chanting pedal, pedal, pedal. I crossed the finish line at 1 hour 25 minutes. Whew! After my heart rate was back to normal I checked my bike and went off looking for Trisha and Tara I was sure they had finished before me. I found Trisha; Tara had not arrived yet. I could not believe she was behind me. Tara came in about 5 minutes behind me.

After the race we headed to the locker room, took showers, changed clothes and headed back out to watch the riders from the Chequamegon 40 finish. We checked the board and found out our rankings, Trisha came in 3rd in her age groups!!!! I was happy with my race, I finished in the top half over all, the top half in my age group and the top half of the women racers. We then caught the shuttle to get back to the car, we picked up the car and drove back to Telemark and enjoyed the festivities for a while, then decided to call it a day and head home. We stopped at Coops for pizza while enroute home.

All in all it was a good weekend. This was the first time I had spent any amount of time with Trisha, she is a very cool person and I enjoyed getting to know her better. The three of us decided we need to do this ride again next year.

PEDAL PEDAL PEDAL...

No comments: